Top 9 Computer Inventory Management Software for 2023
Distributed teams and remote work are quickly becoming the de-facto work arrangements for many companies and this is opening up a huge gap for their IT departments.
They can no longer rely on internal solutions to keep track of and maintain their computer inventory because there are too many devices spread out over huge geographies.
Effective computer inventory management ensures that your team has the necessary resources, reduces downtime, and optimizes asset utilization, allowing businesses to run smoothly.
To help you navigate through the overwhelming choices in the market, we have curated a list of the nine best computer inventory management software options for 2023. Whether you run a small business or a large enterprise, these solutions offer tailored features and functionalities to meet your needs.
Let's dive into the article so you can make an informed choice that will elevate your business to new heights.
What Is a Computer Inventory Management System?
A computer inventory management system is a software tool used to keep track of computer assets throughout their lifecycle within an organization’s systems environment.
They usually offer discovery and tracking capabilities that allow IT managers to get a comprehensive view of their Windows, macOS, or Linux devices. The information that a computer inventory management system can record goes from serial numbers to login information, including files, directories, storage devices, installed software, task history, and software updates.
IT administrators can later use this data to plan hardware and software purchases, manage hardware and software inventory, and diagnose network issues efficiently.
What Does Computer Inventory Management Software Do?
It’s all about automation. Computer inventory software significantly simplifies the complex tasks of tracking, monitoring, and analyzing computers and applications.
The standout feature of these tools is a central place where IT managers can access real-time data about their company's IT assets. IT admins can stay ahead of procurement, maintenance, or potential vulnerabilities by collecting information about computer location, status, and configuration in a single dashboard.
In addition to hardware inventory software and tracking, computer inventory software can monitor applications, including third-party software, ensuring that they are updated and patched as required. It generates comprehensive reports, clearly communicating the findings of device analysis and software tracking.
What To Consider When Choosing Computer Inventory Management Software for Your Distributed Team
When selecting computer and hardware inventory management software for your distributed team, you must look for a tool to help reduce the workload on your IT administrators. When teams are remote, computer management’s an added layer of complexity just because devices are spread across different locations.
Make sure to look for solutions that align with your workflows, so make a list of features that you might need, like scalability, reporting capabilities, integration with other systems, user-friendliness, and security measures. Let’s take a more in-depth look at the factors your company needs to consider in decision-making.
Factors To Consider in the Decision-Making Process
Scalability and Flexibility: Choose scalable software to handle growing teams and increase inventory without compromising performance.
Compatibility With Existing Infrastructure: Ensure the software is compatible with your current systems and infrastructure. It should seamlessly integrate with your existing hardware, operating system, network, databases, and other relevant tools to avoid disruptions and enable smooth data flow.
Reporting and Analytics Capabilities: Look for computer inventory software that offers comprehensive reporting functionalities, including real-time data visualization, customizable reports, and predictive analytics. These features will empower you to make data-driven decisions and optimize inventory management strategies.
Integration With Other Systems: Consider how well the software integrates with your existing systems and tools. It should be able to connect with other crucial applications such as help desk software, ticketing systems, procurement tools, and accounting software.
User-Friendliness and Ease of Implementation: The computer inventory software interface should be intuitive, allowing your team members to navigate the system effortlessly. Additionally, consider the implementation process and ensure it aligns with your team's capabilities and available resources.
Security and Data Protection Measures: Verify that the computer inventory software offers robust security features such as data encryption, user access controls, and regular backups. It should comply with industry standards and regulations to safeguard your sensitive information and protect against potential cyber threats.
By carefully evaluating these factors, you can select a computer inventory system, asset management system or software solution that meets your distributed team's unique requirements, ensuring that you make an informed decision and set your team up for success.
Evaluating the Compatibility With Your Team’s Workflow and Processes
When choosing an inventory management software for your team, evaluate how well it aligns with your team’s needs and working style. An option may offer many novelty features, but it might not be a good match in the long run if they don’t serve your team’s current way of working.
To avoid having to go through the selection process over and over, consider aspects like workflow integration, customization options, and the training level required by its implementation. Let’s take a look at each.
Workflow Integration: Assess how the computer inventory software fits your team's workflow. Will it require significant adjustments or modifications to accommodate the software? Look for a solution that seamlessly integrates with your team's processes for minimal disruption.
Customization Options: Determine if the computer inventory software allows customization to adapt to your team's requirements. Flexibility in configuring workflows and processes can enhance productivity and streamline operations.
Training and Support: Consider the training and support required to successfully implement the computer inventory software. Ensure that the software provider offers comprehensive training materials, documentation, and customer support to assist your team during onboarding.
Trial Periods and Demos for Hands-on Experience
Before making a final decision, take advantage of trial periods and demos offered by software providers. This hands-on experience allows your team to explore the software's functionalities, user interface, and compatibility with your specific needs. By testing the software in a real-world scenario, you can assess its effectiveness, ease of use, and suitability for your distributed team's requirements.
Best 9 Computer Inventory Management Software to Use in 2023
From seamless integration to real-time monitoring and reporting, the following solutions simplify the complex task of managing computer inventory, enabling you to focus on what matters most: growing your business.
GroWrk is an end-to-end computer inventory management solution that streamlines IT equipment procurement, deployment, and management for globally distributed companies. GroWrk’s platform follows the entire network asset lifecycle from purchase to disposal.
The GroWrk Dashboard offers visibility over existing assets for global teams through a centralized location. No matter where teams are located, everything is accounted for and easy to pinpoint. This way, teams can automate their IT needs and scale quickly.
Key Features and Benefits
- AI-powered IT Support that’s available 24/7/365
- Computer inventory management
- Integrations with HR and IT systems
- IT asset tracking
- Depreciation tracker
- Maintenance and device swaps
- Streamlined IT Processes: Global teams can save time and effort by using GroWrk to automate typical IT processes like equipment procurement, deployment, and management.
- Central Dashboard: The centralized dashboard provides insight into important device data like make and model, serial numbers, MDM enrollment, location, status, assigned employee, etc., that allows IT admins to easily oversee their assets.
- Global Reach: GroWrk has services available in over 150 countries, ensuring that companies can track their IT inventory regardless of employee location.
- Warehousing and Storage: Distributed teams that lack central offices can benefit from IT storage in the cloud. GroWrk handles warehousing and storage in more than 150 countries, so remote teams can keep their devices safe.
- Focus on Distributed Teams: GroWrk offers comprehensive inventory management solutions, but its primary focus may be more suitable for distributed teams. Organizations with physical offices might not find value in some of the features.
Asset Panda is a cloud-based software that helps organizations track and maintain their assets. Asset Panda provides up-to-date records that users can access from anywhere on the web and the mobile app. They offer an interactive dashboard that helps companies get visibility over their hardware and software inventory and make informed decisions regarding underused technology.
Key Features and Benefits
- Asset management software on web and mobile
- Custom user roles
- Built-in barcode scanner
- Unique barcode generator
- Custom reports
- Mobile audits
- Cloud-Based Accessibility: Users highly value the flexibility and convenience of accessing Asset Panda from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Mobile App Convenience: The mobile app enhances usability with features like barcode scanning, asset searching, and updating assets on the go. Users appreciate the added benefit of capturing signatures for assets owned by users.
- User-Friendly Experience: Asset Panda is designed to be user-friendly and customizable, allowing users to tailor it to their needs.
- Supports Pictures and Documents: Asset Panda enables users to upload various files and media, including quotes, receipts, internal requisitions, and pictures, creating a centralized repository for all asset-related documentation.
- Lack of Network Discovery: Users have noted the absence of network discovery functionality, which may limit the ability to identify automatically and map network assets.
- No Remote Machine Access: Asset Panda does not provide remote access to machines, which can be a drawback for users needing direct access to devices for maintenance or troubleshooting.
- No Automated Software Usage Data: Users have expressed a desire for Asset Panda to provide automated software usage data, enabling them to track software utilization.
- No Offline Mode in the Mobile App: The mobile app lacks an offline mode, meaning users must have an active internet connection to access and update asset information.
Slow Data Import for Large Data Sets: Some users have experienced slower data import speeds when working with larger data sets, which can be a limitation for organizations with extensive asset inventories.
Asset Panda’s pricing is available upon request.
Freshservice is a cloud-based service desk and IT service management (ITSM) solution created to help organizations automate IT processes. Although it focuses on service desk automation, Freshservice offers IT operations, IT assets, and project portfolio management functionalities.
Key Features and Benefits
- Asset tracking and management
- Incident management
- Automated discovery
- SaaS management
- Lifecycle management
- Contract management
- Availability in languages other than English
- Comprehensive Asset Management: Freshservice offers inventory, contract, and asset lifecycle management for hardware and software assets.
- Self-Service Portals: Freshservice's self-service portals enable users to submit requests, access knowledge bases, and track tickets. This boosts productivity and satisfaction while reducing reliance on IT teams.
- User-friendly: Freshservice has an intuitive user interface that makes it easy for users to navigate and utilize its features effectively. This user-friendly design enhances the overall user experience and reduces the learning curve for new users.
- Free Trial: Freshservice offers a free trial version that can be useful for smaller businesses to get a feel for the software before committing long-term.
- Limited Scalability for Small Businesses: Freshservice is a highly flexible system because of the many customization options it offers, however, they are targeted at enterprise companies.
- Limited Customization Options: Users report issues with Freshservice's asset register and reporting system, specifically integrating with external asset databases.
- Limited reporting capabilities: Freshservice provides up to 20 different reports, but some users are unhappy that they cannot customize them.
Pricing plans start at $19/agent/month.
4. ManageEngine Asset Explorer
ManageEngine Asset Explorer is an automated asset discovery and inventory management software that helps organizations manage hardware and software assets throughout their lifecycle. AssetExplorer offers robust asset management capabilities like automatic asset discovery, a configuration management database, software asset management, software license compliance, and purchase order tracking.
Key Features and Benefits
- Asset lifecycle management
- Inventory management
- Software license and asset management
- Hardware and software tracking
- Reporting capabilities
- Purchase order management
- Robust Tool Set: ManageEngine provides comprehensive asset management features, like inventory management, software license management, software asset management, purchase order management, asset lifecycle management, and tracking.
- Simple Configuration: The setup process for ManageEngine is simple and straightforward, which means users can get started and deploy the software quickly and easily without encountering any significant delays or complications. It's available in 31 different languages.
- User-friendly: Users with familiarity and experience using Windows-based systems will find Asset Explorer's interface design intuitive and user-friendly.
- No Mobile Application: ManageEngine AssetExplorer does not offer a dedicated mobile application, which can limit the accessibility and convenience of managing assets on mobile devices.
- Limited Remote Control Tools: AssetExplorer offers a set of remote control tools with certain compatibility limitations, as they are primarily designed to work with Mac and Windows-based machines.
- Insufficiency for Smaller Offices: As AssetExplorer is designed as one module of a larger system, it may not fully meet the needs of smaller offices that require a more streamlined and scaled-down solution.
Asset Explorer has three versions: a free edition, a 30-day trial, and a professional version. A subscription model is also available starting at $95, which can be used for up to 5 computers and 5 users.
5. Spiceworks Inventory
Spiceworks Inventory is a product created by the global technology service Spiceworks. It’s a free network inventory advisor and management tool that helps manage IT and offers basic and advanced network inventory management and hardware tracking.
Key Features and Benefits
- Automatic device discovery
- Scheduled scans
- Available for Windows and macOS
- Free of charge: Spiceworks Inventory is available for use at no cost, offering a budget-friendly solution for asset management.
- Asset discovery: The software can discover and identify assets, helping businesses maintain a comprehensive inventory.
- Software inventory: Spiceworks Inventory offers functionality for managing software inventory, allowing businesses to track and monitor their software assets.
- Revenue through displayed ads: Spiceworks Inventory generates revenue by displaying advertisements within the dashboard. This can be seen as a downside for users who prefer an ad-free experience or have concerns about privacy and distractions caused by ads.
Spiceworks Inventory is available to use free of charge.
Lansweeper is a comprehensive software inventory management and software auditing tool that operates without the need for agents. It offers robust reporting features and automated software deployment. In addition, Lansweeper includes an integrated help desk and IT service desk, allowing users to conveniently receive, analyze, and resolve help tickets, all within a unified user interface.
Key Features and Benefits
- Asset Lifecycle Management
- Network Management
- Installing Software & Patches
- Business Intelligence & Analytics
- OT Asset Management
- Optimizing Software Assets
- Functions as an IP scanner: Lansweeper operates as an IP scanner, allowing users to identify and gather information about devices connected to the network using IP addresses.
- Detailed device listings: The software provides detailed listings of devices associated with each discovered IP address, offering valuable insights into the network infrastructure.
- Report templates: Lansweeper offers pre-designed report templates, making it easier for users to generate comprehensive reports based on the gathered data.
- Emphasis on scanning: Lansweeper leans towards being a scanner tool rather than a dedicated inventory management system. This focus on scanning may limit the software's capabilities in terms of advanced inventory management features.
Both a free version and paid versions are offered, with the free option allowing for a maximum of 100 assets. Upgrading to the Starter plan costs $2,408 per year.
Atera offers an all-in-one solution for IT professionals and MSPs, providing remote monitoring and management, remote access, helpdesk, billing, and reporting on network devices from a single platform. Atera allows users to monitor devices from a single dashboard and automate tasks like patch management across different platforms.
Key Features and Benefits
- Remote monitoring and managing
- Remote access
- Automated patch management
- Network discovery
- Performance issue alerts
- Simple Inventory and Integrations: Atera simplifies hardware inventory management and service pack installation. It seamlessly integrates with support products, like antivirus and endpoint security tools, to enhance IT management capabilities.
- User-friendly interface: Atera is highly valued by users for its intuitive design and consistent evolution. Its interface is user-friendly and easy to navigate, while its frequent updates and enhancements keep it current with industry standards.
- Affordable: Atera offers a cost-effective solution for small to medium-sized companies, with per-technician pricing for better cost control and quick development of new features. It's received praise for its affordability.
- Limited customization: Compared to other platforms, some users may feel that Atera's customization options are somewhat restricted, even though it boasts various features.
- Learning curve: If you are new to the interface, it may take some time to get used to it and understand its functions. However, once you become familiar with it, navigation should be straightforward.
Pricing for IT departments begins at $149 per technician per month, while the pricing for MSPs starts at $99 per technician per month.
8. EZOffice Inventory
EZOfficeInventory is a versatile cloud-based software that can be accessed through a web or mobile app. It streamlines operational workflows by enabling organizations to easily track and manage assets across multiple locations, conduct seamless audits, and generate reports.
Key Features and Benefits
- Asset Lifecycle Management
- Asset Stock & Inventory Module
- Quick Check in & Check out
- RFID Tracking
- Purchase Orders
- Excel Import and Export
- History Tracking
- Maintenance management
- User management
- Effective asset tracking: EZOffice Inventory proves helpful in tracking and viewing notes, history, and asset locations, making it easy to understand and manage IT assets.
- Good user experience: Users express overall satisfaction as it provides a straightforward and efficient solution for device tracking.
- Layout Issues: Users express dissatisfaction with small layout buttons and the inability to sort equipment by type, requiring manual scrolling through the inventory.
- Frustrating import process: The import process poses frustrations for some users due to limited options and difficulties caused by different spreadsheet headings, making data import more challenging.
EZOffice Inventory has a free trial, and plans start at $95/month.
9. 10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer
10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer is a network and hardware inventory management tool that automatically scans for devices on your network and helps you keep track of them. It also collects information on installed hardware and software and any changes.
Key Features and Benefits
- Software and License Audit
- Hardware Tracking and Inventory
- PC and Hard Drive Health Monitoring
- Reports and Inventory Information Exporting
- Identifies and provides a list of computers: 10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer can discover and generate a comprehensive list of computers on a network.
- Scans devices to create a software inventory: The software scans each device, enabling the creation of a software inventory that helps track installed programs and software licenses.
- Detects changes to inventories: 10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer can identify changes made to inventories, ensuring that the information remains up to date.
- Limited suitability for small networks: The software is primarily designed for small networks and may not be as effective or scalable for larger or more complex network environments.
10-Strike Network Inventory Explorer has a free trial, while the standard version costs $79.95.
Challenges of Computer Inventory Management Software for Distributed Teams
Computer inventory management software provides many advantages for distributed teams, but there are also specific challenges that organizations need to overcome. Some of the significant challenges that distributed teams might encounter when using computer inventory management software are:
Maintenance: Managing hardware assets for distributed teams is complex, with devices spread across various locations. Updating the software database requires dedicated effort and coordination to ensure data accuracy.
Asset Tracking: Managing assets and maintaining accurate records can be difficult for remote teams. As the amount of data and connected devices increases, it becomes more critical to have visibility over company assets through effective tracking and location status.
Storage: Without physical offices, remote teams may struggle to store devices. This often leads to IT managers or network administrators having stock in their homes, even if it is unsafe.
Retrievals: Another challenge for distributed teams is being able to retrieve company devices after an employee leaves the company. Usually, the process can become tedious as managers have to deal with shipping, customs, and even communication issues with exiting workers.
Benefits of Using Computer Inventory Management Software
One of the main benefits of implementing computer inventory management software is that businesses can streamline tedious processes and enhance efficiency in their operations. Ultimately, they can better optimize their IT resources and save costs, allowing teams to focus on more strategic activities rather than spending excessive time on manual hardware inventory management tasks. Let’s take a look at some of these benefits:
Streamlining Inventory Tracking and Organization: Computer inventory management software provides a centralized platform to track and organize inventory data. Consolidating information about devices, software, and other assets eliminates the need for manual tracking methods and spreadsheets.
Improved Accuracy and Efficiency in Inventory Management: Manual hardware inventory management processes are prone to errors and inconsistencies. Computer inventory management software automates data entry, reducing the risk of human errors and ensuring accurate and up-to-date inventory records.
Cost Savings and Resource Optimization: Tools we reviewed above can provide real-time visibility into asset utilization, allowing organizations to identify underutilized resources, avoid unnecessary purchases, track asset depreciation, and make informed decisions about asset allocation. Organizations can minimize costs and maximize the return on their investments by optimizing asset inventory levels and reducing excess or obsolete assets.
Wrapping Up - Why GroWrk Makes Sense for Distributed Companies
An asset management solution like GroWrk is the future of the computer inventory management space because they offer distributed teams a comprehensive view of their IT estate, regardless of location.
GroWrk’s inventory and asset management tool and software is a powerful tool that can help you manage your IT assets, streamline inventory tracking and organization, improve accuracy and efficiency in inventory management, and reduce costs.